WICKED, the West End musical phenomenon that tells the incredible untold story of the Witches of Oz, celebrates an extraordinary 10 years at London’s Apollo Victoria Theatre tonight (Tuesday 27th September 2016). Over the past decade, Wicked has attained many accolades and achieved numerous milestones to become “one of the most popular West End musicals ever” (London Evening Standard):
- Already the 8th longest running show currently playing in the West End.
- On Saturday 12th November 2016 at 2:30pm, Wicked will become the 18th longest running show in West End theatre history, surpassing the run of the original production of Miss Saigon at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
- One of only three Broadway transfers in West End theatre history to ever run 10 years or more (the two others being Disney’s The Lion King and the 1997 revival of Chicago).
- Already seen by nearly 8 million people in London alone, the production has employed over 1600 people, as well as multiple contractors and companies, since its London premiere.
- First show in West End history to gross over £1,000,000 in single week (week-ending Saturday 1 January 2011). The production has gone on to break this record on many subsequent occasions, most recently during week-ending Saturday 2nd January 2016.
- The multi record-breaking UK & Ireland Tour will return in February 2018, opening at the Bristol Hippodrome (with tickets on public sale from 1st February 2017). Further cities to be announced. The critically acclaimed production is currently playing at Marina Bay Sands in Singapore and continues touring internationally until January 2018.
- Almost £1 million raised for charity through its FOR GOOD programme and many other charitable endeavours, including the planting of over nearly 35,000 new trees in support of The Woodland Trust.
- Launched in 2010 with the National Literacy Trust, the Wicked Young Writer Awards, spearheaded by Michael Morpurgo and Patron HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, has inspired the writing of over 25,000 original stories from young people across the UK. www.wickedyoungwriterawards.com
- Winner of 2 Olivier Audience Awards, 9 WhatsOnStage Awards (including ‘Best New Musical’ and ‘Best West End Show’), a Visit London Gold Award, an Evening Standard Theatre Award and over 100 awards worldwide.
- In celebration of Wicked’s 10th birthday, theatre owner ATG has invested in the complete refurbishment of the Apollo Victoria Theatre auditorium and Front of House areas. All seats and carpets have been replaced with designs replicated from the original design of the Grade II* listed venue that first opened its doors, as the New Victoria Cinema, in 1930.
Executive Producer (UK) Michael McCabe said: “On behalf of Marc Platt, David Stone, Universal Stage Productions and all of the producers, I would like to offer our heartfelt thanks to all of our casts, musicians and production staff who have worked so tirelessly, and with such diligence and dedication, in helping to achieve this incredible milestone. It continues to be an absolute privilege to work with so many exceptionally talented individuals and companies and we couldn’t be more proud of, and grateful to, every single one of you. And to our audiences, who have so passionately supported and championed Wicked over the past decade, we offer our deepest gratitude.”
Wicked currently stars Rachel Tucker (Elphaba), Suzie Mathers (Glinda), Oliver Savile (Fiyero), Anita Dobson (Madame Morrible), Mark Curry (The Wizard), Martin Ball (Doctor Dillamond), Katie Rowley Jones (Nessarose), Idriss Kargbo (Boq), Alice Fearn (Standby for Elphaba) and Carina Gillespie (Standby for Glinda).
Please note that Rachel Tucker, Anita Dobson and Katie Rowley Jones appear until Saturday 28 January 2017 only.
From Monday 30th January 2017, international Wicked star Willemijn Verkaik will return to play Elphaba (a role she has previously played to great acclaim in Germany, Holland, on Broadway and in the West End); Sue Kelvin will return to play Madame Morrible and Sarah McNicholas will join the company to play Nessarose.
Based on the international best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire that ingeniously re-imagines the stories and characters created by L. Frank Baum in ‘The Wonderful Wizard of Oz’, Wicked tells the incredible untold story of an unlikely but profound friendship between two sorcery students. Their extraordinary adventures in Oz will ultimately see them fulfil their destinies as Glinda The Good and the Wicked Witch of the West.
Wicked Musical London
Apollo Victoria Theatre
17 Wilton Road, London, SW1V 1LG
Running Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Age Restrictions: Recommended for ages 7 and over (children under 4 not admitted).
Show Opened: 27th September 2006
Evenings: Monday to Saturday 7.30pm
Matinees: Wednesday and Saturday 2.30pm