‘THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION’ CD, Digital Download and Special Edition 2CD Set release date 12th May 2014 by Rhino UK.
As an actress, recording artist, producer and broadcaster, Elaine Paige OBE has made a major contribution to the modern musical that ensures her own chapter in the entertainment world and justifies the title “The First Lady of Musical Theatre”.
Elaine Paige is currently celebrating her 50th anniversary in a career which has encompassed numerous hit albums with UK sales of over 3 million units, award-winning performances in musical theatre, a hugely popular radio series for BBC Radio and endless sell out concerts around the world. To mark her Golden Anniversary, Rhino will release a new career-spanning compilation ‘The Ultimate Collection’ on May 12th.
‘The Ultimate Collection’ compiles many of Elaine Paige’s career highlights released over the last five decades. This includes songs from her most iconic roles in musical theatre such as: “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” – Elaine was swept to fame when she created this award winning performance as Argentine Political Leader Eva Peron in the 1978 London production of ‘Evita’; ‘Memory’ – Elaine’s ‘Top 10’ signature tune was performed in her role as Grizabella, which she also originated, in the 1981 production of ‘Cats‘; “I Know Him So Well” – This #1 duet with Barbara Dickson from the musical ‘Chess’ remains one of the ‘Top 10’ best selling duets of all time in the UK; “As If We Never Said Goodbye” and “With One Look” – Elaine’s electrifying performance as Norma Desmond won her critical acclaim in both the London and Broadway productions of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s ‘Sunset Boulevard’; ‘I’m Still Here’ – Elaine captivated audiences in 2011 when she returned to Broadway with this gutsy show-stopping performance taken from the GRAMMY nominated cast recording of Stephen Sondheim’s musical ‘Follies’.
Elaine Paige has also selected for this project her favourite LP and Single tracks which originate from Silver, Gold and Platinum selling studio albums. Highlights are ‘I Don’t Know How To Love Him’, ‘What I Did For Love’ and ‘One Night Only’ from her 1983 album ‘Stages’ which was the biggest selling album by a female artist in the UK that year reaching #2 and charting for over 10 months! The album also features a brand new remix. Almighty (Rihanna, Katy Perry) have put a contemporary spin on a number featured in the musical ‘Nine’, ‘Be On Your Own’, a track from Elaine’s album ‘Stages’.
‘The Ultimate Collection’ notably includes two previously unreleased album out-takes from the Warner Music vaults: ‘It’s Raining On Prom Night’ (from ‘Stages’) and ‘What A Feeling’ (from her 1984 ‘Top 15’ album ‘Cinema’) – both songs were produced by Toni Visconti (David Bowie, Morrissey). In addition to ‘The Ultimate Collection’, Elaine Paige’s other 50th anniversary plans include a new Sky Arts 1 TV series ‘The Elaine Paige Show’ and “Farewell” concert tour, ‘Page by Page by Paige’ which commences in the UK on Thursday 9th October in Cardiff and includes a very special show at London’s Royal Albert Hall on Monday 20th October with special guests and the BBC Concert Orchestra. This year also marks the 10th birthday of Elaine’s hugely successful weekly BBC Radio 2 show ‘Elaine Paige on Sunday’ which continues to delight audiences of over 2 million listeners each week.
1. DON’T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA (From the musical ‘Evita’)
2. MEMORY (From the musical ‘Cats’)
3. AVE MARIA
4. I DON’T KNOW HOW TO LOVE HIM (From the musical ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’)
5. WHAT I DID FOR LOVE (From the musical ‘A Chorus Line’)
6. ONE NIGHT ONLY (From the musical ‘Dream Girls’)
7. SOMETIMES (Theme song for the film ‘Champions’)
8. UNCHAINED MELODY (From the film ‘Unchained’)
9. I KNOW HIM SO WELL with Barbara Dickson (From the musical ‘Chess’)
10. SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD
11. FOR YOU
12. LA VIE EN ROSE (From the musical ‘Piaf’)
13. I DREAMED A DREAM (From the musical ‘Les Misérables’)
14. AS IF WE NEVER SAID GOODBYE (From the musical ‘Sunset Boulevard’)
15. WITH ONE LOOK (From the musical ‘Sunset Boulevard’)
16. THE PRAYER with Barry Manilow
17. I’M STILL HERE (From the musical ‘Follies’)
18. IT’S RAINING ON PROM NIGHT – (Previously Unreleased Song)
19. WHAT A FEELING – (Previously Unreleased Song)
20. BE ON YOUR OWN [Almighty Remix – Radio Edit] – (Previously Unreleased Remix)
Elaine Paige Official Website at:
Follow Elaine Paige on Twitter @elaine_paige
Wednesday 16th April 2014