Stage Door Records have announced that the first complete recording of the 1999 West End musical Tess Of The D’Urbervilles is to be released on 29th September, 2014. The CD release carries on with Stage Door’s London cast album series and commitment to preserve ‘lost’ British theatre scores of the past 50 years.
The musical is completely sung-through so working with Stage Door, composer Stephen Edwards produced an abridged highlights disc from the entire unreleased 3 hour London studio cast recording recorded a year prior to the show opening at The Savoy Theatre.
The album opens with 6 tracks that were recorded by the London cast
(featuring Philippa Healey, Alisdair Harvey and Jonathan Monks) that were previously released as an EP and segues into the newly mastered 15 track unreleased studio cast album (featuring Mark Umbers, Cathy Sara and Martin Crewes in the leading roles).
‘Who’s Spinning The Wheel?’ sung by Philippa Healey
Arousing the physical passion and romantic landscape of the original Thomas Hardy novel, Stephen Edwards’ musical adaptation of Tess Of The D’Urbervilles was conceived for the stage with producers Karen Louise Hebden and Bruce Athol MacKinnon over a five-year period. After various work shops, the musical was cast in April 1999 with Philippa Healey and Poppy Tierney alternating the title role alongside Alasdair Harvey as Alec D’Urberville and Jonathan Monks as Angel Clare.
Between September and October 1999, Tess toured the United Kingdom, opening at the Sheffield Lyceum to stunning reviews. Critics called the production “visually stunning” and a “landmark in musical theatre“.
Tess transferred to the West End, opening at London’s Savoy Theatre on November 10th, 1999 and was soon after labelled “the last great musical flop of the Millennium”. The London critics were unanimous in their damning of the large-scale through-sung musical and audience numbers subsequently dropped. The show closed on 15th January, 2000 after just 77 performances.
Nearly 15 years since the West End musical adaptation of Tess Of The D’Urbervilles was last seen on stage, Stage Door are pleased to be presenting the first complete album representation of Stephen Edwards’ score, with lyrics by Justin Fleming. Featuring tracks from the 1999 West End production alongside the previously unreleased 1998 studio cast recording, the album includes performances by Philippa Healey, Alasdair Harvey, Jonathan Monks, Cathy Sara, Martin Crewes, Mark Umbers, Heather Craney, Eliza Lumley and a supporting company of forty singers.
ORIGINAL 1999 LONDON CAST
MUSIC BY STEPHEN EDWARDS | LYRICS BY JUSTIN FLEMING
01. WHO’S SPINNING THE WHEEL? – Philippa Healey
02. DO I LOVE HER? – Jonathan Monks
03. GUIDE, PHILOSOPHER AND FRIEND – Philippa Healey, Jonathan Monks
04. SAVE MY SOUL – Alasdair Harvey
05. LEAVING THE PAST BEHIND – Philippa Healey, Jonathan Monks, Alasdair Harvey
06. I HAVE YOUR LOVE – Philippa Healey
ORIGINAL 1998 STUDIO CAST RECORDING
MUSIC & LYRICS BY STEPHEN EDWARDS
07. WATER MEADOWS – Company
08. I’D MARRY HIM TOMORROW – Eliza Lumley, Heather Craney, Deborah Stokes
09. CAN I TRUST HIM? – Cathy Sara
10. IN THE TWILIGHT OF THE MORNING – Mark Umbers, Cathy Sara
11. THE WEDDING – Eliza Lumley, Heather Craney, Deborah Stokes
12. I FEAR HIS GAZE – Cathy Sara
13. CHASE BOROUGH MARKET – Company
14. THE OLD CHASE WOOD – Cathy Sara, Martin Crewes
15. SORROW – Cathy Sara
16. BIRDS OF THE NORTH STAR – Eliza Lumley, Heather Craney, Deborah Stokes
17. THRESHING FIELD – Martin Crewes, Cathy Sara, Company
18. COME BACK TO ME – Cathy Sara
19. RIVER OF REGRET – Mark Umbers
20. ANGEL RETURNS – Mark Umbers, Cathy Sara, Martin Crewes
21. STONEHENGE – Cathy Sara, Mark Umbers
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org
STAGE DOOR RECORDS
Monday 28th July 2014