Classic Spring is a new theatre company, formed by Dominic Dromgoole (former Artistic Director of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre) to celebrate the bold and ground breaking work of proscenium playwrights in the architecture for which they wrote.
Its first offering is an Oscar Wilde Season at the Vaudeville, revolving around his four great Victorian plays, which shocked and redefined the British theatre, and still resonate and refresh today: A Woman of No Importance, Lady Windermere’s Fan, An Ideal Husband and The Importance of Being Earnest.
A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE
An earnest young American woman, a louche English lord, and an innocent young chap join a house party of fin de siècle fools and grotesques. Nearby a woman lives, cradling a long buried secret.
Wilde’s marriage of glittering wit and Ibsenite drama create a vivid new theatrical voice.
‘One can survive everything nowadays, except death, and live down anything except a good reputation.’
A Woman of No Importance is directed by Dromgoole and stars Olivier award-winning Eve Best (A Moon for the Misbegotten and Hedda Gabler).
404 Strand, London, WC2R 0NH
Venue and Travel Information
Nearest Tube: Charing Cross
Tube Lines: Bakerloo, Northern
Directions from nearest tube: (5mins) Exit on to The Strand. Cross the road where possible, and go right about 100 metres and the Vaudeville Theatre is just after the Adelphi Theatre.
Railway Station: Charing Cross
Bus Numbers: (Strand) 6, 9, 11, 13, 15, 23, 87, 91, 139, 176
Night Bus Numbers: (Strand) 23, 139, 176, N6, N9, N11, N13, N15, N21, N26, N44, N47, N87, N89, N91, N155, N343, N551
Car Park: St Martin’s Lane Hotel (5mins)
Within Congestion Zone: Yes
Venue Facilities: Air conditioned, Bar, Infrared hearing loop, Toilets, Wheelchair accessible
The Vaudeville Theatre London
The original theatre on this site was designed by C J Phipps and opened on 16th April, 1870. The theatre was subsequently reconstructed, to designs once again by C J Phipps, and reopened on 13th January, 1891. This theatre added the still existing four-storey high frontage in Portland stone. The theatre then closed on 7th November, 1925 when the interior was completely reconstructed to designs by Robert Atkins – the auditorium was changed from a horseshoe shape to the current rectangle shape, reopening on 23rd February, 1926.